Friday 3 February 2012

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Huhne Club Band

Chris Huhne, today, appears to have shot himself in the foot with regards to his political career. This would come as some kind of surprise, if it wasn't for the fact somebody (anybody) else should have done so first over the last eight years.

Under suspicion of forcing his now-ex wife, Vicky Pryce, to take penalty points for speeding in March 2003 Huhne, along with Ms. Pryce, have both been officially charged with perverting the course of justice by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). Having spent three hours watching the BBC roll the story over and over (and over and over and over...) I can't help but wonder how it took the CPS this long. Following on from this charge the pair of them are due at Westminster Magistrates' Court on the 16th of this month, and I only wish such speedy resolutions would continue to be forthcoming.

From what I've heard the trial is likely to take some time. I'm not entirely sure what Ms. Pryce has to say on the matter, having only heard from Huhne himself and Clegg this morning (Dave not deeming it worthy of comment, other than to say "Thanks for resigning, now get out of my government"), but I'm not sure how supportive she can be of the whole process; married to Huhne for twenty-six years, she ended up filing for divorce upon his admission he was having an extramarital affair with his...publicist? Election assistant? Some woman in his staff, anyway.

I'll admit, I don't know too much about Ed Davey, the man brought in to replace Huhne as Secretary for Energy and Climate Change (Or Secretary for the Environment, as Clegg told the news this morning...) but, other than being a Lib-Dem, don't see how he could be a more objectionable man. Clegg's said that, if Huhne is found to be innocent (something of a long shot, at best, I think) he is welcome back into government. On the very unfortunate basis that doesn't happen, I can't see how he'll do anything other than fade away into obscurity.

What I want to ask is would this be a bad thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment