Thursday 2 February 2012

Vox Populi


From my Blottr

"Today I experienced a moment of mild (ish) panic - as far as I could tell, my Blottr articles had been deleted, and my account removed from the system. After extensive ranting to everyone in my vicinity, I eventually complained about it online. My Twitter and Blogger followers felt the full wrath here, and I thought I was done.

I then come home to find apologies from two separate Blottr big'uns, explaining the website was undergoing changes and this was a known bug. I proceed to check and, lo and behold, my article most definitely still existed and my account remained active. The brief amount of 'points' I accumulated seem to have vanished, but otherwise nothing seems to have changed.

That is, of course, with the exception of the site itself. Blottr has truly embraced the nature of the beast, and that beast is people: the new look website feels more dynamic, looks sharper, and is far neater than before. Breaking news cycles round a small carousel at the top, with further articles listed below in a much clearer form. Profiles look tidier, and information contained within them is more accessible to visitors. No earth-shattering changes were needed, nor even small ones, but Blottr have gone above and beyond to cater to the needs of their authors and viewers.

Social media is a platform I myself have come into recently, and it is one I find more and more fascinating every day - the will of the people to contribute their opinions to the world at large is truly astounding, and what Blottr have unleashed is (from where I stand) an unstoppable force epitomising 'vox populi' in it's truest form. One of the greatest parts is that the person sitting next to you could be the one to break the next big thing. And the best thing of all is that it could just as easily be you."

No comments:

Post a Comment